Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's Starting to Happen



Spring is springing and we're getting ready to do some actual Home Improvements on the exterior. It's all about Concrete right now. The driveway is still busted up from the underground oil tank removal, the alley is busted up from the sewer line repairs. All these open wounds let plenty of water percolate down when it rains and we end up with the babbling brook in the basement. Basically the whole exterior looks shabby.

We were thinking of stone paving for the driveway and concrete for the other areas but now I've got Stamped Concrete on my mind. It may leave my mind when we get the price quotes in. If they can do stamped concrete that looks reasonably like old cobblestone for a reasonable price I'll be happy.

I've been taking measurements and working up CAD drawings like a maniac lately. Aside from planning the paving projects we're trying to figure out some landscaping. The back yard/deck is just 900 sq. ft. of barren and abused decking. We've got to get a whole powerwashing/sanding/patching/sealing process started back there pronto. Then there's the whole planting scheme coming together. Oy!

Luckily my Mother is in the Planter business. We're driving up Easter weekend to raid her basement for large Italian Terra Cotta pots, hehe. I'm also reading up on making my own planters from Hypertufa (a lighter weight, porous concrete that looks like old lava). For that matter I've been giving myself crash courses in gardening and paving in general. The Web is such a good thing.

Frankly it's all a bit overwhelming but I'm just breaking everything down and working through it. I can't properly manage expectations until I get more numbers from the various contractors and vendors involved. Available funds will be driving this boat and the Winter's heating costs among other things have reduced availability of said funds. We'll make it work. Hell, I am a designer but doing projects for myself with my own money is creepy. It's like designing a show that we have to live in.

Let the fun begin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home