Friday, October 21, 2005

The Beast's 1st Feeding - Roof



A month into being here we got our first taste of things to come. Last week we had freakish Monsoon-like rains for a solid 7 days. The first thing we noticed was the re-appearance of a leak in the dormer of the bedroom. Its a leak that sprung up after our initial inspection in the Spring thus wasn't part of our contract rider but was verbally promised would be fixed. Well they fixed the inside nicely but didn't seem to do a damn thing about the cause of the leak outside. The Monsoons were the first real rain we've had in months thus the little waterfall in the bedroom.

Later we noticed a less localized leak in the pantry, near the dry goods of course. Then going down to the basement we saw the Babbling Brook running diagonally across thge center of the floor. I've always wanted a "water feature" but these aren't what I had in mind. I realized there was nothing I could do at the moment about the leaks except call roofers. I called 6 roofers in the area and didn't hear back from a single one! Anyhow I turned my attention to the basement and soon realized that most of the downspouts (or whatever the last part of the gutter system that discharges onto the ground are called) were pouring water directly onto the foundation so we did a run to Lowes and bought These flexspout things and other gutter accessories. These actually worked for the most part! However the French drains in the basement were still being overwhelmed by water coming in from one corner. It may be runoff from the yard (we're on a hill) but since the whole yard is decked I can't tell. We'll have to solve this mystery later.

Last Friday I finally got a call back from one of the roofers. He'd given me an estimate a few months ago on fixing some other roof issues (we'll have to deal with those sooner or later) and stopped by Saturday to have a look and work up a price. We scheduled the work for today which was fine until the forecast called for rain again starting today! Fortunately it held off long enough to get the job done.

The true test will start along with the next rains.

It's kinda funny how from the camera angles reveals a little Virgin Mary where the Satellite Dish was. I really need to figure out how to get photos to appear where I want them

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Peter A.,

Great blog about The Beast's 1st Feeding - Roof Hope you don’t mind me dropping you a comment although I was actually searching for , However after running across your blog am glad I kept on reading; you have some great stuff here. Well it’s back to searching so keep up the good reading.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home